Current time: 18-12-2014, 11:24 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[-]
Please Read

The links to software on this site is for evaluation purposes only. You cannot sell or use this software for any financial gain, privately or commercially. We strongly suggest that if you like the software, buy it. This will ensure the companies provide a good quality sevice.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
GPS path problem
07-09-2011, 06:57 AM
GPS path problem
I have just received a new Chinese GPS. Updated maps as I was given an online link to do this. Now when the GPS boots up it goes to a startup screen that has a number of choices. When I select Navi it gives me a message stating "Please set GPS path first". I have no direct way to do this. Connected unit via USB and checked shell.ini file. It shows, I think correctly, \SDMMC\iGO8\iGO8.exe. 4GB internal card, showing 700mb available so space is not the problem.
Can someone please give me some idea as to how I can correct this.
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2011, 08:52 AM
RE: GPS path problem
Some Chinese models won't recognise shell.ini. There should be an option under Settings called NavPath or something like that. If that is not the case the only other thing would be something like the name for your SD card is not correct and it is called something other than SDMMC.

Cheers, Ian

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!
Find all posts by this user
07-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Some Chinese models won't recognise shell.ini. There should be an option under Settings called NavPath or something like that. If that is not the case the only other thing would be something like the name for your SD card is not correct and it is called something other than SDMMC.

Cheers, Ian

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I cannot get to Settings. The only way I can change things is by USB. The root directory of the SD card contained the shell.ini file and it has it as SDMMC. Is there any way I can get into the Windows CE registry and see if there is anything that needs changing.
07-09-2011, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2011 01:32 PM by ulyssy.)
@ stewfraser

Just to get a couple of things straight first.

1. Your iGO8 installation resides on a SD card, which came with the device?

2. When you first got the device, to start the program, with the SD card inserted, you clicked on the "Navi" button?

3. The program started and you could do the navigating bits etc.? So all was OK?

4. You then
Quote:"Updated maps as I was given an online link to do this"
?

5. How was that done? Was the device connected on line, via USB and your PC, to the given link and the update loaded directly onto it? Or did you download the update to your PC and then installed it on your SD card? Was the update only for new map file(s) or for the entire program?

6. Whichever way, you now have your SD card inserted in the device, click on the "Navi" button, and you get that ""Please set GPS path first" message?

Now, am I correct in what I think, that you have done so far? Or have you done anything else as well? Give me answers to these and we'll then take it from there.

Regarding accessing the CE registry, if you haven't "bricked" your device as yet, you stand a better than even chance of doing so, if you start messing around in there. So forget about that angle.

==Computers_comp26==

Confucius say:
Man seek advice in PM, deprive other of wisdom
Man not do backup, himself deprive of wisdom
07-09-2011, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2011 08:13 PM by ulyssy.)
Quote:Just to get a couple of things straight first.

1. Your iGO8 installation resides on a SD card, which came with the device?

yes the SD card is inside the devide, I have not seen it

Quote:2. When you first got the device, to start the program, with the SD card inserted, you clicked on the "Navi" button?
No did not try this first, yes in hindsight I probably could have.

Quote:3. The program started and you could do the navigating bits etc.? So all was OK?

4. You then
"Updated maps as I was given an online link to do this" ?

Quote:5. How was that done? Was the device connected on line, via USB and your PC, to the given link and the update loaded directly onto it? Or did you download the update to your PC and then installed it on your SD card? Was the update only for new map file(s) or for the entire program?

I updated online through my PC, when the RAR file was extracted I put the new data to \iGO8\content\map. The file name were much longer than those that were originally there so there are now two of some files. I only added Canada and six north eastern US states.

Quote:6. Whichever way, you now have your SD card inserted in the device, click on the "Navi" button, and you get that ""Please set GPS path first" message?

Yes I cannot do much because I cannot get the Settings icon onto the screen. I have 12 icons visible and there is a button on the RHS to scroll but it does not work.

Quote:Now, am I correct in what I think, that you have done so far? Or have you done anything else as well? Give me answers to these and we'll then take it from there.

Regarding accessing the CE registry, if you haven't "bricked" your device as yet, you stand a better than even chance of doing so, if you start messing around in there. So forget about that angle.

Understood.

==Computers_comp26==

Edited by Admin to make the post readable
07-09-2011, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2011 02:30 AM by ulyssy.)
@ stewfraser

Quote:yes the SD card is inside the devide, I have not seen it

A SD card is inside the device in the sense that it is inserted into a SD slot on the side on the device. It is removable, and when you do any alterations or additions to it, you remove it and use a SD card reader to do the editing. It is not advisable to do what you appear to have done, i.e. do them in situ, through the USB connection.

That itself can often result in some corruption of files on the SD, and may well be the reason for that "Please set GPS path first", error message.

Some devices do have built in Flash Memory, but that is never called a "SD card".

Quote:Yes I cannot do much because I cannot get the Settings icon onto the screen. I have 12 icons visible and there is a button on the RHS to scroll but it does not work.

One of the reasons that your scroll button doesn't work, could be that the touch screen is out of calibration. There would normally be a button labelled "Calibrate" or "Screen" or similar, somewhere in the menus. If you can see that, click on it and re-calibrate the screen.

Alternatively it may have a partial screen hardware failure. I have a 4.3" device, a couple of years old now, which some time ago lost the sensing ability in an area at top right corner, about a cm square in size. It doesn't respond to any buttons, whether in menus or in the navigation program, which happpen to be located inside that area. In other respects, it works fine.

In that case there is nothing that you can do, apart from sending it back to the seller, and ask for a replacement.

It can also be some problem in the system firmware. These sort of devices, invariably have a menu button for "Reset to Defaults" or similar. If that is visible on your screen, try that.

If it is not visible, with some devices, if you let the battery go completely flat, and then recharge and start up, it will go back to factory defaults.

Also have you tried the "Reset" button on the device, which sometimes is not very obvious, and can be accessed only through a tiny hole on the back or side, of the device, using a pin or a straightened paper clip.

Incidentally, which are the menu items, that are visible?

==Computers_comp26==

Confucius say:
08-09-2011, 08:02 AM
I suspect from what you've said that you don't have an SD card as such as it would be plainly visible. Your software is probably installed on an internal partition in the device. Try changing the shell.ini from:
\SDMMC\iGO8\iGO8.exe to \ResidentFlash\iGO8\iGO8.exe and see if that fixes it.

Cheers, Ian

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!
08-01-2013, 10:40 PM
I too have a problem with my double din chinese no name unit
The unit looks an awful lot like the CARTEK Model Number: CT2D-ST10 made by Shenzhen Cartek-Tech Electronics Co., Ltd. but i have no way of being 100% sure
the problem I have that the unit reads the sd card first thing in the morning (when every thing is cool) however as soon as the weather gets warmer the program wont start up and the unit tells me that it has no application installed. if I then through the settings try to reinstall the IGO software it tells me that no navi card is found please insert navi card.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
08-01-2013, 11:40 PM
It might be that the [settings] button is on the second page of the device's menu. Try scrolling to the next page by using sliding (up/down/left/right - try what works) motion with your finger like you would do on an android or apple device.
09-01-2013, 12:17 AM
@ muily

To me, it sounds like the problem is temperature related, which is not really surprising of, what we read, has been experienced in your neck of the woods, in recent times.

It could be the SD card or the device itself. I would be inclined to try a new SD card in the first instance. And then, if that doesn't fix it, to see how hot the 2DIN itself gets.

I had a 2DIN a couple of years ago, my first one, which had a similar problem. Not many 2DINs that I have come across since then, have cooling fans on them. Mine had a cut-out on the back to take a 40 or so mm fan, but no fan was fitted. I installed one myself and it did make a difference. It sort of partly solved the problem, the unit did run a bit cooler. But on really hot days, 40 Deg C+, it still got rather warm and played up.

==Computers_comp26==

Confucius say:
10-01-2013, 02:05 AM
thanks for that guys
I have tried different sd cards and all that

I will give the fan idea a go
It will mean that I have to take the unit out again and have a look at how to fit a cooling fanComputers_comp26
28-08-2013, 02:42 PM
(08-09-2011 08:02 AM)Jards88 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I suspect from what you've said that you don't have an SD card as such as it would be plainly visible. Your software is probably installed on an internal partition in the device. Try changing the shell.ini from:
\SDMMC\iGO8\iGO8.exe to \ResidentFlash\iGO8\iGO8.exe and see if that fixes it.

Cheers, Ian

I have same error message. When I click on NaviPath Icon it shows path\SDMMC\APP\navigator.exe,\resident flash\APP\NAVI
Comma seems strange but in any evnet when set path scree comes up, i don't appear to be able to enter anything if it needs changing
29-08-2013, 12:30 PM
please help me
29-08-2013, 02:56 PM
I would try the reset hole 1st. That comma shouldn't be there afaik

Always ensure you have a backup of your Navi files in case you stuff up!
Please 'ask' on here on the forums 'before' you PM me.
30-08-2013, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2013 11:54 AM by Bill Clifford.)
(29-08-2013 02:56 PM)bazzle01 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I would try the reset hole 1st. That comma shouldn't be there afaik

Don't know if any of holes are reset hole.
Also as computer doesn't recognise device when plugged into USB socket, can't back up

(07-09-2011 08:52 AM)Jards88 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Some Chinese models won't recognise shell.ini. There should be an option under Settings called NavPath or something like that. If that is not the case the only other thing would be something like the name for your SD card is not correct and it is called something other than SDMMC.

Cheers, Ian

I have same error message. When I click on NaviPath Icon it shows path\SDMMC\APP\navigator.exe,\resident flash\APP\NAVI
Comma seems strange but in any evnet when set path scree comes up, i don't appear to be able to enter anything if it needs changing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Stike Motorcycle GPS Devious One 0 73 08-11-2014 02:08 PM
Last Post: Devious One
  Igo 8.3.2 and GPS Device information CrazeUK 3 253 05-11-2014 05:26 AM
Last Post: nabi
  Go Cruise GPS-3506 INIT API Danus_au 68 23,202 02-11-2014 08:25 PM
Last Post: nabi
  Chinese GPS running windows CE and IGO8 skiscotty 37 32,973 14-10-2014 12:40 AM
Last Post: chas521
  Problem with my gps. sungoud 2 316 07-05-2014 08:57 AM
Last Post: sungoud

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)